Monday, February 23, 2009

The Progressive South

Sighs...

The states of Tennessee and Kentucky are proposing laws that ban single, unmarried, or gay people from adopting.  In the case of Kentucky (I'm not sure about Tennessee), if the law passes, any parent who is single, unmarried, or gay will have their adopted child taken away from them by the state.  Because, you know, the well being of child is being threatened by singledom or gaydom, and it wouldn't traumatize the child at all to have the state take them away from their home and throw them back in foster care for an indeterminate period of time.

Fuckin' South.

If I didn't have homework to do, I'd write more about it.  But I will (don't you worry).  And I'll also provide ways that you can help defeat this archaic, harmful laws.


1 comment:

  1. Arkansas just made it illegal for gay people to adopt. And it's illegal in Florida, where I am. Stopping gay people from adopting is awful and bad enough (I mean, really, there are so many kids out there that need loving homes. And we all know that ALL kids raised by straight people turn out straight, so clearly ALL kids raised by gay people will catch teh ghey), but single people? Unmarried couples?

    There are so many single parents in this country doing a wonderful job. If someone wants to love and care for a child and offer the child a home, I don't see what the problem is. And unmarried couples? What the fuck. A piece of paper disqualifies them from being able to adopt?

    This makes my blood boil. It's fucking ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete